Bicycle Tour Thailand:
Cycling Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park,
the hidden treasure on the way to Chiang Mai…
In 2017 our friend Gianni Cinelli joined us for a bicycle tour.
If you are planning a bicycle tour around Northern Thailand as Mae Hong Son Province Chiang Mai Sukhothai, etc, Kamphaeng Phet, this might be your hidden treasure.
Kamphaeng Phet is located half way from Chiang Mai in the North and Bangkok in the South. Only 80 km. from Sukhothai and 70 To Tak for traveres on the Way to Mae Sot and perhaps Myanmar.
Nakhon Sawan could be the starting point for your tour. The road to Kamphaeng Phet is flat and not so busy. From here to Sukhothai the road is surrounded by forest and rice fields. 30 Km. from Kamphaeng Phet on the way to Sukhothai you can enjoy the Hot Springs Phra Ruang Tambon.
- Check out our cycling itinerary for this area in these articles Sukhothai and Mae Hong Son with a wider area maps
Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park:
The city is separated by the Ping River. The area is extensive and flat with big trees that offer a precious shade from the sun, especially during the monsoon season.
Bicycle is the best transportation to visit the park and if you don’t have one you can rent it at the Northern zone for 30 Thb a day
Small canals and roads will lead you around the ancient ruins, the city walls and old fortifications.
There are 2 main areas, Khet Aranyik and Kampaeng Pet that require a ticket of 100 thb each or a single ticket of 150 thb if you want to visit both areas.
There is a third area named Mueang Nakhon Chum on the opposite side of the Ping River
Wat Phra Kaeo Is the largest temple of the central zone of Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park.
“temple of the Emerald Buddha” It was founded in the 15th century right in the center of the city walls.
- Sa Mon Located north of Wat Phra Kaeo closed to the northern city wall.
- Wat Phra Non It was built on the veneration of Buddha during the 15th – 16th century, located in the Northern zone of Aranyik nearby Wat Si Iriyabot.
- Wat Phra Si Iriyabot is located to the north of Wat Phra Non Walls. It was built in the Sukhothai artistic style. The statue stands surrounded by the walls remains.
- Wat Phra Sing “temple of the lions” was built during both the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya periods. It has a square-shaped principal Chedi and the Viharn – Ubosot.
Wat Chang Rop (also “Rob”) is a large temple on a hill. The squared structure is surrounded by elephants statues, demons and dancers.
Enjoy our passion!!!